billy: how's your new job coming along?
michael: i was just taking stock of my career.
billy: you want to sell stock of your life?
michael: no way, only super stars can sell stocks of their career. i said i was taking stock of my career.
billy: what does that phrase mean?
michael: it means to evaluate one's job.
billy: do teach me more. i always want to evaluate my present career.
new words 新单词
1) appraise (评估、估价): review, value
the expert appraised my ring and said it was worth 10,000 bucks.
2) counterparts (相对应的人或事，在不同地方跟你做相同工作的人): people who do the same job as you in a different place
tony blair is clinton's counterpart in britain.
3) expectations (期待，期望): what you expect, what you think will happen
i have many expectations of my son.
4) measure up to (符合，达到): compare to, judge
i feel i don't measure up to my father's expectations.
5) taking stock (评估、打分): evaluating, scoring
i was taking stock of my life and i realized i still have a far way to go.